Updated July 24th, 2020
For the AdGear Corporate Privacy Statement, click here.
AdGear Technologies, Inc. (“AdGear”) is committed to protecting the online privacy of consumers. At times AdGear technology collects, stores, and uses information, such as your browser type or IP address. We use this information for the purposes described in this policy.
- Types of Information Collected
- Purposes of Data Collection
- What Are Browser Cookies?
- AdGear’s Cross-Device Technology
- Information Sharing with Third Parties
- Location of Processing
- Security and Retention of Data
- Your Choices
- Your Rights
- Changes to This Policy
- How to Contact Us
Types of Information Collected
When you visit a website or use an application that either uses or is integrated with AdGear’s technology platform, we obtain certain information about you and the device you are using. In the course of providing ad serving and decisioning services, the following types of information, known as “HTTP header data” or “clickstream data”, may be collected by AdGear’s advertising technology:
- Browser type used to view the ad
- Device operating system used to view the ad
- Cookie information from the browser used to view the ad
- Information about the device identifiers assigned to the device used to view the ad
- IP address from which the device used to view the ad accesses a client’s website or mobile application
- Information about the consumer’s activity on that device, including web pages and mobile apps visited or used
- Information about the geographic location of the Internet service provider of the device used to view the ad
We may collect information that is considered personal information under applicable law.
Purposes of Data Collection
We process the personal information that we obtain in order to:
- Store and access it
- Customize the ads we send you based on your interests and the manner in which you interact with the advertisements
- Select, deliver, measure and analyze the ads and content we send
We process personal information in accordance with our legitimate business interest in ensuring the effectiveness of our advertisements and the accuracy of our targeting of devices that is not overridden by your interests, rights, and freedoms with respect to the personal information we obtain. Where required by law, we rely on consumer consent for the processing of personal information, which is collected and supplied to us by the operator of the website or application that uses our technology.
What are Browser Cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that can be stored on a consumer’s computer when that computer’s browser views an ad or website of one of AdGear’s clients or partners.
AdGear technology may employ cookies to collect information about you. The AdGear cookie is unique to the consumer’s browser. The cookie does not contain the consumer’s name, address, phone number, email address, or other information that directly identifies the consumer. When dropping non-essential cookies, AdGear relies on consumer consent collected and supplied to us by the operator of the website that uses our technology.
AdGear’s Cross-Device Technology
On an average day, an individual Internet-connected consumer might use multiple browsers and various devices, including desktop or laptop computers, smartphones, tablets, and Smart TVs. As a result, a single consumer may have multiple behavioral, interest-based, preference-based, or demographic profiles fragmented among several browsers and devices. AdGear uses its proprietary cross-device technology to link these profiles, devices, or sets of devices, based on common attributes, behaviors, or consumer preferences. On behalf of our clients, we may use these groupings (consumer segments) to target advertising campaigns.
Our cross-device technology uses both deterministic and probabilistic methods to establish connections between related devices. The deterministic method relies on immutable information, such as device identifiers or hashed login information. The probabilistic method uses non-fixed information from devices and browsers, including IP address and browser information, which may change over time and could be shared by multiple individual consumers. Using these methods of analysis, our cross-device technology is able to infer whether devices are likely to belong to the same consumer or to different consumers within a common household.
Information Sharing with Third Parties
AdGear may receive from or share personal information with third parties under the following circumstances:
- Information voluntarily provided by the ad campaign recipients, by way of embedded forms or fields within the ad creative, may be collected, and shared with the client on whose behalf the campaign is served, at the client’s specific request. This information is used solely by AdGear’s client to fulfill the purposes specified within the advertisement, such as to provide the consumer with requested goods, services, or information. At no time do we distribute this information to any party other than as indicated in the ad.
- AdGear may enable certain third parties to collect information for the purposes of protecting the safety and security of AdGear’s platform and online ecosystem, including to detect and prevent malicious activity or fraudulent traffic. These third parties may include advertising exchanges, data management platforms and marketplaces, geo location data providers and advertisement viewability measurement technology providers. We may disclose such information in the event we reasonably suspect malicious activity or fraudulent traffic or when it is required by law, subpoena, or other legal process, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Subject to applicable privacy law, AdGear may share certain personal information with one or more AdGear affiliates or subsidiaries, such as our parent company, Samsung Electronics Canada Inc.
- We share certain personal information with our service providers, such as our data hosting providers. Our data storage vendors may store the data they receive on servers that are located in the US.
- We share certain personal information about consumers with third parties who provide us with information to enable targeted advertising on website(s) and application(s) that use our technology.
In addition, we may share personal information we collect at your request. AdGear, our subsidiaries and affiliates, and our third-party service providers also may disclose information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; (6) in the event of a potential or actual sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation); or (7) otherwise with your consent.
Location of Processing
AdGear’s technology and services are controlled from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. As such, transfers of personal data from the EU are protected by the adequacy decision made by the Commission of the European Community (in 2001) in which it was decided that Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) provided an adequate level of protection for personal information transferred from the EU to organizations in Canada.
Security and Retention of Data
AdGear employs administrative, technical, and physical safeguards intended to protect the personal information we obtain against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. While no method of electronic storage and/or transmission via the Internet is 100% secure, we are committed to using commercially acceptable and appropriate methods to protect all information under our control (personal or otherwise).
AdGear retains personal information for only as long as needed to provide agreed-to services to our clients, or for as long as is reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce this policy. We also retain personal information for as long as is necessary to provide support-related reporting and trend analysis, which may be as little as one (1) hour and as long as eighteen (18) months.
AdGear Platform Opt-Out
You can opt out of interest-based advertising supported by the AdGear platform. To opt out through the AdGear platform, please click here. To opt back into AdGear’s interest-based advertising through the AdGear platform, please click here.
When you choose to opt out of interest-based ads via the AdGear platform, an opt-out cookie will be stored in your web browser. AdGear’s platform will know the choice you have made when it reads your opt-out cookie and will apply your choice to all advertisers that use our platform. Should you delete the opt-out cookie, you will not be opted out and will need to allow cookies from AdGear again in order to renew your opt-out choice.
Mobile Device and Web Browser Opt-Outs
Mobile device system software, such as Apple iOS or Google Play Services, provide mechanisms that allow consumers to opt out of the use of information about their usage of mobile apps to deliver targeted ads to their mobile device. For more information, or to opt out using these mechanisms, consult your device settings (“Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” on Android devices and “Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS devices).
AdGear supports industry self-regulation programs, including AdChoices, and adheres to the rules and regulations stipulated by the following:
- In the US, the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”)
- In Canada, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (“DAAC”)
- In the EU, the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (“EDAA”)
AdChoices is the self-regulatory program for online interest-based advertising, designed to give consumers a better understanding of, as well as greater control over, the ads that are displayed for them based on their online interests.
To learn how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising in the US, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. In the European Economic Area (“EEA”), please visit www.youronlinechoices.eu.
For consumers located within the EEA, we are registered as a vendor with the IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework, which is designed to provide consumers with the ability to exercise choice over which third parties can access and process their personal information for the purpose of serving interest-based ads, either through an opt-in or opt-out mechanism depending on the vendor’s legal basis and use of personal information. AdGear participates in the IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework and complies with its Specifications and Policies. AdGear’s identification number within the framework is 790.
We will make every effort to provide you with a copy of the personal information and/or correct, amend, or erase inaccurate information about you wherever possible, as required by applicable law.
Subject to applicable law, you may also receive, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, any information that you have provided to us about you, based on consent or a contract to which you are a party. You have the right to have this information transmitted to another company, where it is technically feasible. In accordance with applicable law, you may request that we restrict the use of your personal information in certain circumstances, such as while we consider another request that you have submitted, for example, a request that we update your personal information.
Where provided by law, you may withdraw any consent you previously provided or object at any time on legitimate grounds to the processing of your personal information, and we will apply your preferences going forward. This will not affect the lawfulness of our use of your information based on your consent before its withdrawal.
You may lodge a complaint with a data protection authority if you are not satisfied with our responses. If you believe that AdGear has information about you that has been processed in violation of existing privacy law, please contact our Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) at email@example.com.
Changes to This Policy
How to Contact Us
Questions, comments, or concerns related to our Platform Privacy Statement may be directed to our DPO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AdGear Technologies Inc.
C/O Data Protection Officer
800 René-Lévesque Blvd W Suite 1000
Montreal, QC H3B 1X9